Which driver update to use?

Mike Isely isely at enteract.com
Tue Jun 9 14:13:29 PDT 1998

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Ken Garlock wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I just upgraded my system from Redhat 5.0 to Redhat 5.1, and all went very
> smoothly.  That is a first for me and Redhat -- I am pleased to see the
> progress.  BTW, the system is a PPRO 200 with 2940U, 2 Quantum Atlas 2.2 GB,
> and 1 IBM 9.1 GB, no Ultra drives.
>
> One problem I did see, but only once so far, was a scsi timeout which I had
> never experienced before, the system recovered and kept running.  My kernel
> is 2.0.34 with 5.0.13 patch level for aic7xxx.  This is straight out of the
> box Redhat 5.1 with the 5.1 patches from Sunsite.unc.edu.
>
>  So, I thought I would go to Doug's ftp site and pick up the latest patch
> level for the driver, 5.0.18.  Well, when I got there I was somewhat
> confused as to which code to bring down.  There are several flavors of
> updates, and I need guidance as how to proceed.  Should I slam-dunk a
> complete 5.0.18, or should I incredmentally move up to it through the "a to
> b" patch deltas?  **Which directory to I pull from?

Ken:

I couldn't find an appropriate patch at all when I did this last weekend.
Since 2.0.34 seems to include the 5.0.14 driver, just using the patch
against 2.0.33 wasn't likely to work (since 2.0.33 includes a far older
driver).  I didn't want to use the 5.0.14 driver either since previous
experience with it for me was complete breakage (system wouldn't even
boot).  So here's what I did:  I grabbed the full distributions for both
5.0.14 and 5.0.18 drivers and expanded them on my system.  Then I used
diff to compute a relative patch between those two versions and I applied
THAT against a vanilla 2.0.34 Linux source tree.  The patch applied
perfectly, everything compiled beautifully, and the system has remained
stable with this new kernel ever since.

> Since Redhat 5.1 is shipping (got mine by FedEx last Friday), it might be
> good to publish a set of steps to move from the Redhat base distribution to
> the latest driver level.
>
> Doug Ledford,  What do you recommend?
>
> Thanks for your consideration.
>
> Regards,
> Ken Garlock              k-garlock at ti.com
> These are my comments, not my employer's who is Solaris fan.
>

> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at FreeBSD.org
> with "unsubscribe aic7xxx" in the body of the message

    POSITIVELY NO       |                             | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC 92
 UNSOLICITED JUNK MAIL! |   isely @ pobox (dot) com   | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1 E8
                        |   (spam-foiling  address)   |