First Impression of version 5.0.0

Vincent Cojot coyote at step.polymtl.ca
Tue Jan 20 19:13:31 PST 1998

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Eric Geyer wrote:

> I just had one note, and this applies only to the 3940 family.  There is note
> in the README (note 5 to be exact)  that mentions the "reverse_scan" variable
> in the aic7xxx.c module.  I believe that many 3940 users will have to set this
> to make their controllers scan the drivers in the same order as the older
> versions of the driver did.  I don't think that this is a problem, because
> IMHO, the older version scanned in the wrong order, because of some weirdness
> in many PCI BIOS implementations.  It would be nice if this was a config
> parameter, but I can handle the situation as it is.  Anyway, after I fixed this
> small problem, everything worked great.  Thanks to Doug, Justin, Dan, and
> anyone else who contributed to this driver.

Ick! I hope this doesn't break things for people who -DON'T- have problems
with the order of both SCSI channels on their 3940. From experience it
seems that if you have a high-quality/server-quality motherboard, under
Linux your 3940 will alocate the channels in the correct order and if you
have a cheap motherboard you'll fall into that reverse problem thing.
Someone already posted an in-depth analysis of this amusing
(mis-)behaviour to the list a couple years ago and its much better than my
current babble but please don't break things for 3940's to "fix" problems
that aren't always there: for some MB's the order of 3940 channels is
correct, for some other people it is incorrect. Only the latter should be
fixed. Amazingly, Solaris doesn't seem to have that problem.

Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering. STEP project. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,.
Linux Xview/OpenLook resources page _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ coyote at info.polymtl.ca
http://www.info.polymtl.ca/~coyote  _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ coyote at step.polymtl.ca

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost