CD-ROM lockup in software...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Feb 18 11:42:00 PST 1998

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Dave Perks wrote:

> Some CD-R drives are supposedly guilty of not disconnecting from the SCSI
> bus, so putting them on a separate SCSI bus is recommended.  This could be
> your trouble.  I'm no SCSI expert though.

I'm going to try something that may reveal whether it is this (which I
was also worried about) or a more basic conflict between ioctl calls in
workman (which seems to be at the root of the problem) and the scsi
command queue.  I suppose I'll post what I find back to both lists,
since there could be a deadlock condition created by the ioctl/queuing
conflict that ultimately causes system death from userspace (which
sounds like a bit of an SMP/kernel issue) even though the root problem
is likely to reside on the aic7xxx driver or the attached device.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu