AIC-7895 bootdisk

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Feb 18 12:03:11 PST 1998

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Avi Barel wrote:

> Hello.
> Please tell me where I can find a bootdisk for my Slackware Linux
> hard drive SCSI controller  AIC-7895 ?
> Thanks.

I put a kernel with aic7xxx 5.0.3 support in

www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/zImage.7895

It is an SMP kernel with ramdisk and module support but no network
drivers and with various and sundry things supported.  In

www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/mkboot

is a short script that will (with suitable hacks) convert this into a
bootdisk that can boot into a slackware rootdisk.  However, if you want
to configure your own set of devices and have more than one linux box
handy, go get the latest aic7xxx (5.0.x) driver from:

ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx

and cut your own kernel (with ramdisk support).  Then put the zImage in
a suitable place and the mkboot script will once again make a bootdisk
capable of booting a slackware rootdisk.  Finally, if you want to make
your own "real" slackware bootdisk, make a zImage or use the one above
as an argument to the ./kernels/makedisks.144 script from the slackware
distribution (either at sunsite.unc.edu or from cdrom or in a pinch ask
me and I'll send them to you).

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu