2940UW+2920+IDE no worky?

Mike Isely isely at enteract.com
Mon Feb 9 05:58:15 PST 1998

On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Dan Cernese wrote:

> All works fine _until_ I attempt to move the SCSI-II narrow Quantum
> drive over to the SCSI-II controller.  Everything goes through its
> BIOS installs correctly, the IDE drive is installed first, the SCSI cards
> recognize each drive.. ..then when its supposed to run ntldr off C:,
> it says " Drive Not Ready Error".  If I boot from a floppy, no drives
> are visible.  If I simply disconnect the narrow Quantum (that I'm trying
> to move) or put it back on the Ultra-wide controller, everything is normal.

If the 2920 has a BIOS, try disabling it.  Adaptec SCSI controller BIOSes
don't "install" themselves if they don't find a device on the chain that
can be used by the PC BIOS.  Without the Quantum drive present, the 2920
won't install its BIOS.  That could be the difference...

    POSITIVELY NO       |                             | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC 92
 UNSOLICITED JUNK MAIL! |   isely @ pobox (dot) com   | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1 E8
                        |   (spam-foiling  address)   |