File corruption: how to find the guilty?

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Wed Dec 16 06:35:04 PST 1998

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

> > I have a Linux box which shows random corruption of files.

> > I wonder what to do? Change the disk? The SCSI controller? The kernel?

> It's memory corruption.  I've seen this float through this list or that about
> 30 different times in the past.  Not once has it ever been a kernel or driver
> issue.  In *every* case it has been either RAM, cache, or CPU.  Check the CPU
> fan, check the cache (if it isn't part of the CPU) and check your RAM.

I'd tend to agree.  Still, I can offer a counter example.  Some time ago,
I had file corruption on an Iomega Jaz drive when tagged queueing was
enabled.  (I think this was the late 4.x driver series, but I'm not sure.)
I can no longer test it, however, since my Jaz drive has since broken
(followed by about 4 warranty replacements breaking too) and I have
decided it isn't worthwhile to keep relacing it every few months.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu
    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042