does linux detect ASUS p2b-s ?

Alex Farber alex at kawo2.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 31 13:53:48 PDT 1998

phaseV wrote:
> No, i'm not asking how to, (hints are welcome, though)
> i just like to know if it's possible to get my asus p2b-s
> mainboard to work with linux.

Hi,

I think it does. I have an ASUS P2B-S MB too and a Ultra-wide
IBM SCSI disk. There's a patch for 2.0.35 kernel by Doug, at:
ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/ and it works for
my current Red Hat Linux installed on an older IDE-disk -
I am able to mount and the SCSI disk.

And there are some Red Hat install disks at
ftp://calculix.mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/juergen/aic7xxx/ and
http://www.cs.utsa.edu/research/AI/bylander/linux/dell-precision.html
but they don't work for me. The disk from the 1st address is
1600 KB big and maybe that's why my MB can't boot from it. The
disk from the 2nd address is missing the ne.o module for my NE2000
network card.

So I have tried to make my own install disks using the instructions
attached to this mail to modify the initrd.img. And I think it worked,
since the Red Hat installation starts well. But then it stucks when
insmoding aic7xxx.o. I think the reason is, that the vmlinuz is not
compatible with the modules that I have compiled and put into the
initrd.img. So I just overwrite the vmlinuz with my own kernel and it
kind of works too - it boots, but does not start the Red Hat install
program (why?). It boots my old Linux from the IDE-disk.

What helps? I would appreciate any hints, since I am new to Linux, but
I think I am close to the solution, just missing some important step...

Greetings
Alex

--
http://www.simplex.ru/pref.html