So how do I make an install disk for RH now?

Alex Farber alex at kawo2.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Aug 29 08:47:46 PDT 1998

Hi,

the AIC7xxx works good for me now, thanks for the help! But how do I install
Red Hat on my SCSI drive? Unfortunately, I can not download the boot disks from
ftp://calculix.mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/juergen/aic7xxx/boot-images
since it seems to be down over the weekend. I have tried the disks from
http://www.cs.utsa.edu/research/AI/bylander/linux/dell-precision.html
(thanks, Tom) but they don't recognise my NE2000 card (module missing?).

So, I read the Rod's page about creating install disks at
http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol-technical.html and it says just to
replace the vmlinuz on the redhat installation disk with my own kernel. I did
so and it shows the redhat install screen, but then boots to my linux,
which is installed at IDE-drive (instead of asking for supplementary redhat
installation disk...)

What am I doing wrong? Maybe some kernel compilation options? Like enabling
ramdisk? Or do I have to change some other file on the redhat install disk?
Or maybe disable LILO? Please give me a hint :-)

Greetings
Alex

--
http://www.simplex.ru/pref.html