scsi devices on ASUS P2B-DS

Hidong Kim emeraldkim at rocketmail.com
Fri Aug 28 14:24:36 PDT 1998

Hi,

I have an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard.  I have a hard
drive on the 68-pin Wide SCSI connector of the
motherboard.  I have kernel 2.0.35 running with SCSI
support.  The SCSI hard drive is detected and mounted
fine.  The ASUS manual says that the 68-pin Wide
connector is always terminated and will only work as
an end device.  Since things were working with only
the SCSI hard drive connected, I assume that the hard
drive is also terminated.  Now I want to add a 4 mm
DDS-2 SCSI tape drive onto the 50-pin Fast SCSI
connector of the motherboard.  Does the tape drive
need to be terminated?  Does it have to have a
different SCSI ID from the hard drive?  I've tried
what I believe are all of the (limited)
possibilities.  When I try to boot up with the tape
drive also connected, only the SCSI hard drive is
detected, and not the tape drive.  And then I see a
recurring scsi timeout error, and I never get the
login prompt.  How do I get both SCSI devices working
on this motherboard?  Thanks,

Hidong