P2B-LS and 2.1.115/118 ? (what has pre5+3 more than pre7 ?)

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Fri Aug 28 08:23:00 PDT 1998

Gregoire Favre wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an 2.0.35pre5+3 patched kernel who works perfect (cf
> dmesg.35pre5+3), but as I need some 2.1 features, I have also an
> 2.1.115pre7 who works really good if it is the first things to boot at
> power on (cf dmesg.115pre7) but after a reboot I got (cf
> dmesg.115pre7.after.a.reboot) but it is working fine after that.
>
> I have tried to compile several different 2.1.118, without succedind
> boot (cf dmesg.118pre7): it doesn't recognise on off my swap (SCSI)
> partition, and all the SCSI linux native partition...
>
> Is the 118 broken ?
> Has the pre5+3
> (calculix.mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/juergen/aic7xxx) something the
> other don't have ???

All of the boot messages you listed that didn't find the hard drive looked
suspiciously like you forgot to enable the sd driver in the kernel (or
compiled the sd driver as a module).  Run a make menuconfig (or whatever
your preferred make method is) and then make sure that the option <*> SCSI
disk support under SCSI support has an asterisk in the brackets to the left
of it (like I printed above) instead of <M> or < > since either of these two
options will make it so that your disks won't get seen.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but