problem using the aha2940 card with linux 2.0.35 (& 2.1.117)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at mitgroep.card.azr.nl
Wed Aug 26 00:29:31 PDT 1998

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, W. Wade, Hampton wrote:

[SNAP]
> I think it is the version of the 2940.  My older 2940's worked fineand I never
> had any problems with them....  This is a new one (about
> January, 1998).
Well actually this is my second 2940 because the first one had scsi
timeouts when burning cd's... but that was when I lone it to a friend of
mine, and his setup wasn't really stable...

> > I now use the 2940 in my dedicated linux machine running Debian...
> > And I've tested the P2B-DS board with two 266mhz P2's and the 7890 chipset
> > ,which is my NT-X-Term, with Debian and the new pre7 drivers and they
> > run like a charm.... note this is _with_ SMP active :) And SMP under
> > linux works better than under NT as I've tested last weekend... on bizarre
> > where it runned for 48h's in one go without problems...
>
> How do you like Debian?  I mainly use RedHat....
Well I used to use Slackware... which is easy, you can do anything you
want with it, total control over everything... nothing has to be done
in a certain manner...
With debian you get a great TRUE package management facility...
When you install sendmail for example... it'll firstly decompress+install
the programs... then in the config run it'll ask you all kind of questions
about how you want to config sendmail... and you're off :)

> How did you test SMP on Linux versus NT?  Which kernel (2.1 or 2.0)?
> My Linux/NT dual PII/300 has had uptimes of nearly a month running
> Linux SMP (but I had to shutdown to try 2.1.117 and to boot NT).
>
> If you did a complete test you should publish your results to the WWW!
Hmm, a friend of mine has the same system like me, well except for the
HD's and the gfx cards... so we could run them next to eachother and make
a really good test out of it... but it's, imho, very difficult to do a
versus between the two... and I can already tell you the following things:
	Linux is cheaper.
	Linux is more configurable.
	Linux is faster.
	Linux is better supported.
	Linux has more applications.
	  (if an app doesn't exist someone will make it anyway...)
	Linux wins :)
Oh and for the people saying, well but you haven't used NT a very lot then...
I can anwer this very simply with "I worked at M$"... and I know how NT works
and I use it almost everyday... as an X-Term though...

But if anyone has a great idea how I should make a REALLY good test...
Give me a notice!

Greets,
  Jeroen Massar