7890/aic7xxx 5.1.0pre5+3

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Wed Aug 5 02:54:47 PDT 1998

Greg Whalin wrote:

> Well, this patch solved my problem.  I had a CMD technologies RAID
> controller that was not being found with pre5.  This patch seems to have
> solved my problem.
>
> Greg
>
> --------------------
> Greg Whalin
> gwhalin at numerix.com
>
> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Juergen Hammelmann wrote:
>

> > Hi!
> >
> > Please see at
> >
> > ftp://calculix.mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/juergen/aic7xxx
> >
> > to get my newest patch, some people asked me...
> > Also I put my bootdisk and a kernel image and modules to this site.
> >
> > :-) this system (calculix) runs on the pre5+3 patch.

%^)  OK, before we get *too* many different patches running around here,
I've attempted to roll up the various fixes that have floated through here
with the code I was working on as well and put out a pre6 patch.  People
that had things that fixed various problems should check out the pre6 patch
and make sure I didn't miss something that your particular setup needed.
However, be forewarned there were a few things that I had seen that I
purposely didn't roll in, such as the code to read some of the adaptec BIOS
settings from NVRAM in a Dallas Semiconductor combination RealTime
Clock/CMOS/NVRAM chip.  Modifications such as those are non-portable and
impossible to use properly.  They might work on one motherboard, but since
every motherboard can use their NVRAM differently beyond certain
allocations, the rest of it is guess work.  In order to be able to use
something like that, we would first have to identify that a particular
motherboard controller is the one we are using, and then have some sort of
pre-defined mapping of NVRAM for that motherboard controller setup.....very
ugly work to try and get right, and most mb makers wouldn't be nice enough
to tell us where they store that stuff either so it would be guess work to a
certain extent.

Anyway, check it out and get back with me if things are missing.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but