new to linux, please help

ajwilson at abingdon.postmaster.co.uk ajwilson at abingdon.postmaster.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 02:48:03 PDT 1998

thanks both of you who pointed me to boot disks. However, I still have a
problem with the adapter. Rather than simply giving the message 'SCSI: O
hosts'
it has a few lines saying AIC-7890 detected, and 'SCSI: 1 host' and then
hangs
with the HD access light on.

I suspect this is simply because the alpha drivers for the U2W adapter in
these
boot disks will not work properly with my set-up, in which case all I can
do is
wait for a new version of the drivers. Could any of you take a guess at how

long it would take? (I did say I was new to linux :-)

Meanwhile, Im going to try and tweak my setup, by removing my narrow SCSI
CD-ROM which might be causing some problems, and anything else I can think
of.
If anyone has any more ideas, or knows anything about any parameters I
could
manually enter to make it detect my adapter, I'd be very grateful.

Alastair Wilson

we apologise for the inconvenience