new to linux, please help

ajwilson at abingdon.postmaster.co.uk ajwilson at abingdon.postmaster.co.uk
Tue Aug 4 10:51:17 PDT 1998

I'm trying to install linux on my new system, based around the Asus P2B-S
with
the onboard 7890 U2W controller in combination with a U2W Quantum Viking II
and
a narrow SCSI cd-rom. I also have a old 250MB IDE drive.

I downloaded slackware 3.5, repartioned my 4.3GB disk into a 3.3GB MSDOS
partition (with the linux distribution on) and a 1GB area for a linux
partition. I got as far as trying to use linux fdisk, having booted using
the
scsinet.s image (I also tried the aha2x9x.s, the only other relevant one
included with slackware), at which point I found that my SCSI controller
hadn't
been detected, with the message 'SCSI: 0 devices' or something very
similar.

I know the drivers for the U2W adapter are still in beta, but I'd still
like to
try them. However, I can't compile the kernel myself as I don't have a
working
linux system: catch-22. Please, could any of you linux gurus out there
compile
a boot disk image with aic7890 support from the most recent patch released?

Even if not, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Alastair Wilson

we apologise for the inconvenience