seagate cheetah LVD

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Mon Aug 3 12:43:27 PDT 1998

Serge Egelman wrote:

> hi,
>     after finally getting my 2940u2w to work under linux I found that
> there is absolutely no improvement over my AIC-7895 (on board).  I am
> getting only 18 mb/s sustained.  I talked to the seagate people and they
> said this is normal.  But I know I can get faster because the cheetah on
> the sgi octane does about 30-40 mb/s.  Is there any way of getting
> faster than 18 mb/s?

I would guess that the SGI machine is showing these results because of
either A) caching or B) RAID or C) hardware cache or D) other special
hardware.  In any case, the Cheetah drives themselves, to my knowledge, do
not have a sufficient media transfer rate to sustain more than about
18MB/s.  IOW, the drive is maxed out at 18MB/s, so be happy.  It's much
faster than the average hard drive that maxes out at a media rate of 10MB/s
or less.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but