SCSI Disks

Mike Bilow mikebw at bilow.bilow.uu.ids.net
Thu Dec 25 09:23:46 PST 1997

Brian Ristuccia wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 BR> I know this is sorta off topic, but a vendor has Micropolis
 BR> 1991 9.0 gb SCSI-2 5.25" hard disks for <$400. Page says
 BR> these are remans (re manufactured). Anyone know of any
 BR> obvious problems with these drives, functionality or lack
 BR> thereof with my aic7xxx and linux? (I have a 2940 ultra)

 BR> Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

The good news: Micropolis 1991 have, in my experience, been very good drives.

The bad news: Micropolis is in liquidation, and remanufactured drives have, in
my experience, proven to be very unreliable.

I might consider this a good deal *if* I was running a system that was not
mission critical and I made really frequent backups.  Your odds are better than
playing the lottery, but that's not saying much.

-- Mike