Please help me with Linux 2.0.30 and AHA2940 driver

james sinnamon jamess at batman.flexi.net.au
Sun Dec 7 01:02:01 PST 1997

Dear friend,

Can you help me change the driver so that I can get our Linux system
to boot?

I installed Red Hat Linux version 4.2 on a Hewlett Packard E 45 server
with an Adaptec AHA2940 scsi card.  The original RedHat kernel seemed
to work alright, but I needed to recompile the kernel in order to use
a Stallion Easy Connect 8/32 multiport adapter.

After I recompiled, I found that the kernel failed at the point where
it was trying to initialise the scsi devices (2 Hard Disk Drives and a
tape drive).  The fact that I have added a driver for the Stallion
Card seems to be irrelevant, as I get the same result, even when the
recompiled kernel does not include a Stallion driver.

Even a SUCCESSFUL boot with the original Red Hat Linux kernel does not
look altogether healthy:

scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
aic7xxx: BurstLen = 8 DWDs, Latency Timer = 64 PCLKS
aic7xxx: AHA-2940 Ultra Rev B.
aic7xxx: devconfig = 0x1580.
aic7xxx: devconfig = 0x1580.
aic7xxx: Reading SEEPROM...done.
aic7xxx: Extended translation enabled.
aic7xxx: Memory check yields 16 SCBs, paging not enabled.
aic7xxx: Enabling wide channel of AHA-2940 Ultra-Wide.
AHA-2940 Ultra-WIDE (PCI-bus), I/O 0xfc00
    irq 11
    bus release time 40 bclks
    data fifo threshold 100%
    SCSI CHANNEL A:
        scsi id 7
        scsi selection timeout 256 ms
        scsi bus reset at power-on enabled
        scsi bus parity enabled
        scsi bus termination (low byte) enabled
        scsi bus termination (high byte) enabled

aic7xxx: Downloading sequencer code...done.
aic7xxx: Resetting the SCSI bus...done.
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 4.0/3.2/4.0
scsi : 1 host.
scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices.
scsi0: Target 1, channel A, refusing WIDE negotiation; using 8 bit transfers.
scsi0: Target 1, channel A, now synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset 15.
aic7xxx: Sending SDTR!!
  Vendor: HP        Model: 4.26GB A 50-S65A  Rev: S65A
  Type:   Direct-Access

In an UNSUCCESSFUL boot with a recompiled kernel, I get the following message
immediately following the line, "scsi0:scanning channel A for devices" ;

"referenced SCB not valid during SEQINT 0x71, scb, 0, static 0x0"

>From examining the code, it seems that it has something to do with the
value of buswidth being set to RESIDUAL.

Some of the other error messages are:

scsi0: Target 0, cahnnel A, now synchronous at 10.0 MHz, offset 15
aic7xxx : sending SDTR !!

	... over and over again.

and:

scsi. Host 1, Channel 0 reset pid(47) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 1, channel 0.

Can you please suggest how I can change the source code or the compile
options, or whatever, in order to have Linux boot up successfully with
a recompiled kernel?

Thank you.

regards,

James

James Sinnamon

Administrator of Flexi Net,
Warwick's local Internet Service Provider.

e-mail    : jamess at flexi.net.au
snail-mail: PO Box 168 Warwick QLD 4370, Australia
|Phone  |  from within |  from          |
|Numbers|  Australia   |  overseas      |
|work:  |  076 604646  |  61 76 604646  |
|mobile:|  0412 319669 |  61 412 319669 |
|fax:   |  076 615255  |  61 76 615255  |