Please help me with Linux 2.0.30 and AHA2940 driver

james sinnamon jamess at batman.flexi.net.au
Mon Dec 8 01:34:03 PST 1997

Brian,

Brian Ristuccia wrote:

> I had horrible trouble with my 2940 after I upgraded my kernel. It seems
> that the newer driver couldn't figure out my bus termination and just sat
> there resetting the bus forever. Automatic termination may not do things
> correctly. In the EZ-SCSI BIOS screen (ctrl-a)  at startup, adjust host
> adaptor termination as appropriate.

Thank you for your reply.  The appropriate scsi termination options on my
SCSIselect utility program was:

	Low on/High on

... for 50 pin internal connectors only.  It still doesn't although I
get different error messages.  Is it possible that the termination
jumpers may not have been set? (Forgive for asking such an apparently
daft question, but I am in the absurd position where I cannot lift up
the computer case to have a look.  It has to be done by a technician
employed by an organisation to which our computer services have been
outsourced).

Anyhow, please don't go to too much trouble over this.  It is likely
that we will soon be getting an AHA1542 which is apparently totally
supported by Linux.

ON ANOTHER MATTER, do you know where on the net I can find material
that could explain to me how the scsi interface is supposed to work?
Or do you know of a book that would explain it to me?  (The scsi HOWTO
is not quite what I was after.)

I suspect that this won't be the last time scsi devices will cause me
headaches, so I might need to ask for your help again.

Thanks again.

regards,

James,

James Sinnamon

Administrator of Flexi Net,
Warwick's local Internet Service Provider.

e-mail    : jamess at flexi.net.au
snail-mail: PO Box 168 Warwick QLD 4370, Australia
|Phone  |  from within |  from          |
|Numbers|  Australia   |  overseas      |
|work:  |  076 604646  |  61 76 604646  |
|mobile:|  0412 319669 |  61 412 319669 |
|fax:   |  076 615255  |  61 76 615255  |
|home:  |  076 618379  |  61 76 618379  |