Re: mouse and keyboard fail to work with xorg-server-1.20.11_3,1

From: Michael Gmelin <freebsd_at_grem.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 09:58:58 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 11:01:59 +0200
Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 08:05:16 +0000
> Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > > Using kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 still works, so it was the missing
> > > xf86-input-libinput-0.30.0_1 which caused my problems.
> >
> > Another solution is to disable these newish input shenanigans and
> > just use good ol' xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse drivers,
> > works like a charm for me (and no dances with kern.evdev.rcpt_mask
> > required).

No dance required, as the default has been so that it just works for
a while now (so you install FreeBSD 13 and do "pkg install xorg",
everything just works out of the box). It's the opposite now, you need
to tweak kern.evdev.rcpt_mask now to get old input methods working
(e.g., when using ancient serial mice, you need to set it to 3).

> > However, it could be useful to see if this new X.org
> > input model would fix the regressions in Quake2 movement* I have
> > reported back in 2017 and which were still unfixed last time I've
> > tried to play the game.
> >

> These were the first things I installed.  Still didn't work with the
> xorg-server installed by pkg.

With kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 (the default setting), only mouse hardware
and keyboard hardware are receiving events. It might have worked
if you changed it to 6 (to get keyboard) or 3 (to get keyboard and
mouse). But not really relevant for you anymore, as you have a working
setup now.

> I considered building the port myself and disabling various options,
> but in my experience that's an enormous PITA and generally ends with
> great frustration and lots of hair pulling rather than a usable
> binary.
>
> It would be nice if there were versions of xorg-server with and
> without the dependency on libinput in the pkg repository, but that
> would simply increase the already high load on the servers and
> custodians.

For better or worse, upstream development is focused on libinput and
many modern devices only work with it to their full potential. So,
unless you have some old beloved piece of hardware that isn't supported
and absolutely requires the classic way of doing things, there is no
point in making your life harder by not using it.

-m

--
Michael Gmelin