Re: mouse and keyboard fail to work with xorg-server-1.20.11_3,1

From: Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 09:01:59 UTC
On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 08:05:16 +0000
Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 08:35:39AM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > > To clarify things somewhat, I deleted both ports today and then
> > > no longer had the mouse and keyboard after starting xorg-server.
> > >
> > > Re-installing xf86-input-libinput-0.30.0_1 while keeping
> > > kern.evdev.rcpt_mask set to 6 got me back the mouse and keyboard.
> > >
> > > Whether using the default of 12 for kern.evdev.rcpt_mask works I
> > > haven't tried.  But I have kbdmux in my kernel config file, so I
> > > think 6 is the right setting for me.
> >
> > Using kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 still works, so it was the missing
> > xf86-input-libinput-0.30.0_1 which caused my problems.
>
> Another solution is to disable these newish input shenanigans and
> just use good ol' xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse drivers,
> works like a charm for me (and no dances with kern.evdev.rcpt_mask
> required).  However, it could be useful to see if this new X.org
> input model would fix the regressions in Quake2 movement* I have
> reported back in 2017 and which were still unfixed last time I've
> tried to play the game.

These were the first things I installed.  Still didn't work with the
xorg-server installed by pkg.

I considered building the port myself and disabling various options,
but in my experience that's an enormous PITA and generally ends with
great frustration and lots of hair pulling rather than a usable
binary.

It would be nice if there were versions of xorg-server with and without
the dependency on libinput in the pkg repository, but that would simply
increase the already high load on the servers and custodians.

--
Gary Jennejohn