parallel zfs mount

Alexander Motin mavbsd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:16:34 UTC 2019

Hi Jack,

I've tried to merge respective Illumos patches to FreeBSD when they got
to Illumos, but that appeared to be problematic due to total mess of
kernel and user-space locking primitives and types in ZFS headers,
additionally complicated by FreeBSD shims.  After spending there several
days I gave up.

I haven't checked myself, but I heard that Linux took different approach
and just reimplemented it completely in different primitives, possibly
to avoid the same kind of problems.  If I had time for second try, I'd
try this way.

On 04.02.2019 05:27, Jack Halford wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Gandi has a need for parallel mounting of zfs datasets, apparently this
> has been implemented on illumos [1] and then was ported to ZOL [2]. I'm
> wondering if anybody has started any work in this direction for FreeBSD
> and maybe just hasn't upstreamed or doesn't have the time for the
> review, I'd be open to do that work.
>
> Otherwise I'll probably start porting this patch for FreeBSD myself.
>
> [1] https://www.illumos.org/issues/8115
> [2] https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/8092
>
> --jack

Alexander Motin