Fwd: ZFS v28: kernel panics while reading an extended attribute

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 2 07:52:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 08:39:05AM +0200, Martin Matuska wrote:
> I can confirm the bug found by Alexander Zagrebin in ZFS v28, he
> suggests the attached bugfix.
> Is the patch acceptable?
>
> How to reproduce the bug:
> setextattr user testattr 1 testfile
> zfs snapshot test at s1
> getextattr user testattr .zfs/snapshot/s1/testfile
> PANIC

This is because zfs_getextattr() calls VOP_READ(9) with IO_SYNC flag.
I was wondering if we could trigger this panic from regular read(2), but
regular read never passes IO_SYNC flag. So I think this fix is correct,
but I'd also remove IO_SYNC flag from VOP_READ() call inside
zfs_getextattr(), as I don't see the point in having it there.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com