Downgrading labels

Jason Chambers jchambers at cenic.org
Sat Mar 26 14:34:22 GMT 2005

You might be confused between BIBA and MLS, and how they might work
together.  It is not uncommon for a user to be capable of downgrading a
MAC level, although if I remember correctly in some cases they cannot
upgrade back up once dropping down... depending on what type of MAC
your using ?   I believe the acceptable upgrade\downgrade levels are
predefined as ranges assigned to a user \ process... otherwise allowing
unspecified transitions is straying away from "Mandatory" access
control.  Even if you switch to a different user, your still only
cleared at your MAC levels of the previous.. but i'm getting into the
fuzzy parts of my memory.  I might be wrong... It has been a while
since I studied MAC.  Places I go to refresh my memory are listed
below.

-- Biba deals with integrity
-- MLS deals with sensitivity

========================
Hacking B1 Trusted Operating Systems
A good review of vendor neutral concepts...
===============================
Found in the DEFCON 8 archives

========================
The Rainbow Series  -- have coffee on hand.
http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/library/rainbow/index.html
http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/index.html

Random links
www.sis.pitt.edu/~jjoshi/IS2935/Lecture4.ppt
http://www.cse.scu.edu/~tschwarz/coen350/securityModel.html
parsys.cs.uic.edu/~solworth/integratingMacDac.pdf

-Jason