How to make/build/install ?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 23 22:54:03 GMT 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Hassan H. Monfared wrote:

> thanks much about your answer(your comments was great for us).
> But still Iv'e some problems (in installing MAC & SEBSD ):
> 1) I get Error code 1 in "make buildworld" , every time stopes in different
> files.
> 2) I used FreeBSD 5.1 Release and 5.2 RC2. those error accured again
> 3) can I have MAC & SEBSD features in one BSD OS kernel ?
> 4) you talked about " FreeBSD 5.1-SEBSD ", where can I find it ? is there
> any ISO image ?
> thanks for any Reply, specially Mr Rober Watson comments.

Hassan,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I've gone ahead and put up
the 5.1-SEBSD ISO and install notes on the TrustedBSD web page.  You can
find them at this URL:

  http://www.trustedbsd.org/sebsd.html

The MD5 checksum for the ISO is:

  4593664749e28e0f0ad431f027441d27

The installation instructions should be the same as the ones I sent you
previously, but it might be worth grabbing them again just in case.  The
ISO is a reduced snapshot of FreeBSD -- no packages, X11, etc, just the
base system.  However, it has a substantially modified installer which
should drop the right kernels onto the disk, set up the file systems
properly, etc, making it a lot easier to get bootstrapped with SEBSD.  The
source code is also from our SEBSD development branch, so includes a
number of things not in the base FreeBSD tree, including:

- Modifications to the MAC Framework to export a POSIX.1e capability-like
  interface to MAC policy modules so that they may modify the system's
  notion of privilege.

- Modifications to the MAC Framework to label and control access to System
  V IPC and POSIX Semaphores.

- Modifications to the MAC Framework to provide additional controls on
  mountpoints, and allow a label to be specified at mount-time using a
  command line parameter for single-label file systems, rather than just
  using the label on the process performing the mount.  NOTE: there is an
  errata item for this, but I need to check on the details.  You may want
  to avoid using this feature for now.

- Modifications to the login/cron/... mechanisms so that they understand
  SEBSD roles.

And, of course, it includes the SEBSD kernel module.  :-)

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research