how to install and setup cap from p4?

Brian F. Feldman green at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 8 21:26:45 GMT 2002

"Ilmar S. Habibulin" <ilmar at watson.org> wrote:

> Well, i tried "make world kernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL" with "options
> CAPABILITIES" and got unbootable to multiuser system. I can't even mount
> filesystems - access is denied(operation not permitted).
> I'll try to figure it out, but maybe there is some guide?

There are two problems which you will have to solve to get this working
(both easy, of course).  First, you must have extended attributes on your
filesystems set up for system/posix1e.cap; you can see how to do this from
the documentation in src/sys/ufs.  Turning on extattr autostarting for UFS
is also a very good plan here :)

Second, after you have a system with posix1e.cap extended attributes set up,
install world again to get install(1) to set persistent capability flags on
any pertinent files.  After the files have these attributes (i.e., "getfcap
-m /bin/true" should give you "all=ei:CAP_SETPCAP="), your system should
have inheritence permitted for the system binaries, and you should be able
to use the base system with capabilities.

I hope this helps!