[Acl-Devel] NFS ACL support...

Dominik Kubla dominik.kubla at uni-mainz.de
Thu Nov 16 07:16:42 GMT 2000

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 11:03:10PM +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> There has been a discussion on extended attribute support on linux-fsdevel
> recently. The API my patch implements is somewhat too limited for the
> general case, so somebody will have to change the design, implementation,
> documentation, etc. I'm not sure I'll have enough time for that soon.

Since i am not subscribed to linux-fsdevel: is there an archive anywhere,
so that i could read up on the discussion.

> NFSv4 seems to cover ACLs and extended attributes, but they don't use the
> same interface. So I guess a long-term solution would be to work on NFSv4
> support for Linux ACLs and EA's.

But it still would be nice to have them on NFS v2/v3 and be compatible to
as many implementations as possible: i simply can not see the *nix vendors
and the world switch to v4 over night.

> Are you sure Irix (or OB1) implements CAP, MAC, IL over NFS?

 From what i read in the Trix manuals some time back i got the impression,
but i might be wrong.

Dominik
--