X (was: New version of capabilities patch online, some more status)

Jeffrey W. Thompson thompson at argus-systems.com
Tue May 2 15:26:04 GMT 2000

I had meant to respond to the issue of T6 being a requirement earlier, but forgot
to include that in my email.

T6 is in fact (or something that provides similar functionality) is only a
requirement if you are going to be working in an environment where multiple B1 OS's
are going to be transferring labels over the network to eachother and need those
labels to interoperate.  In this case if you wanted an X server on TrustedBSD to
communicate with a TrustedLinux implementation that has an entirely different label
API then you would need a full T6 implementation.

If your concern is simply the transferrence of network labels (without
interroperability concerns) then you can solve this problem with a limited SAMP
implementation that does not use a token mapping service.  This is considerably
easier than a full T6 implementation.  Further more, from X's perspective you
really only need a mechanism that allows you to read and write labels on socket
based connections.  Under PitBull this is done with a ebind, eread, ewrite
interface and under Trusted Solaris (if memory serves me correctly) readl, writel.

A way to get things up and running quickly would be to implement the t6 libraries
and only have them use the eread/ewrite (or equivalent TrustedBSD versions).  This
would allow people working on X to develop to the T6 API without having to have a
full T6 implementation.  When and if a full T6 implementation is done, the T6
libraries could be updated and the transition would be fairly painless.

I certainly recognize the value of a full t6 implementation (though there is a
performance impact) but in my experience it isn't really necessary in many cases.
Again, I am talking mainly about server based architectures, and it could become
relevant again in a more client-centric architecture, but I suspect it is not
necessary to make it an immediate priority.

As long as noone suggests implementing DNSIX I'll be happy!

Jeff