svn commit: r264907 - in head/release: amd64 i386
emaste at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 30 13:36:06 UTC 2014
On 30 April 2014 01:41, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:
> So, to make universally bootable install media, we have to switch the
> default console driver to newcons. This means we need to finish polishing
> newcons and need to think about what, exactly, the missing pieces are to
> enable it as the default.
There's a Newcons wiki page at https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons with
some details, but I believe the main points are:
1. Documentation. We currently have no vt(4) man page so one needs to
be written, and other pages likely need to be updated. Other
documentation (like the handbook) need to be investigated.
2. Control tools (e.g. kbdmap(1), vidcontrol(1), vidfont(1)) need to
be updated. Alexandr posted a patch for vidcontrol with the subject
"RFT vidcontrol for vt(4)"
3. Provide console fonts for vt, equivalent to /usr/share/syscons/fonts.
4. Address some performance issues, especially on certain non-x86 and
low-end hardware, and in virtual machines.
5. Address boot console priority.
More information about the svn-src-head