svn commit: r343668 - head/sys/i386/i386
kib at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 1 21:09:37 UTC 2019
Date: Fri Feb 1 21:09:36 2019
New Revision: 343668
Disable boot-time memory test on i386 be default.
With the current 24G memory limit for GENERIC, the boot time test
causes quite visible delay, amplified by the default
debug.late_console = 0.
The comment text is copied from the same setting explanation for
Suggested by: bde
Discussed with: emaste
Sponsored by: The FreeBSD Foundation
MFC after: 2 months
--- head/sys/i386/i386/machdep.c Fri Feb 1 20:46:47 2019 (r343667)
+++ head/sys/i386/i386/machdep.c Fri Feb 1 21:09:36 2019 (r343668)
@@ -2005,13 +2005,15 @@ physmap_done:
Maxmem = atop(physmap[physmap_idx + 1]);
- * By default enable the memory test on real hardware, and disable
- * it if we appear to be running in a VM. This avoids touching all
- * pages unnecessarily, which doesn't matter on real hardware but is
- * bad for shared VM hosts. Use a general name so that
- * one could eventually do more with the code than just disable it.
+ * The boot memory test is disabled by default, as it takes a
+ * significant amount of time on large-memory systems, and is
+ * unfriendly to virtual machines as it unnecessarily touches all
+ * pages.
+ * A general name is used as the code may be extended to support
+ * additional tests beyond the current "page present" test.
- memtest = (vm_guest > VM_GUEST_NO) ? 0 : 1;
+ memtest = 0;
if (atop(physmap[physmap_idx + 1]) != Maxmem &&
More information about the svn-src-all