svn commit: r216473 - head/sbin/geom/class/eli

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at
Sat Dec 18 15:34:21 UTC 2010

On 12/17/10 13:07, Warner Losh wrote:
> On 12/17/2010 08:22, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> On 12/16/10 13:04, Robert Watson wrote:
>>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, David O'Brien wrote:
>>>>>> Log:
>>>>>>   Bump WARNS to 6.
>>>>>> Modified:
>>>>>>   head/sbin/geom/class/eli/Makefile
>>>>> FYI, this broke the tinderbox on arm, ia64, mips, and sparc64.
>>>> Errr.  Reverted.  I built it on the architectures I had access to...
>>> For WARNS-related changes, I generally use "make universe" to test 
>>> across architectures.  This builds all of our architectures world + 
>>> all available kernels, and seems the most effective way to avoid the 
>>> above situations. (I've fallen into exactly the same trap...)
>>> The one thing to be cautious about is that make universe won't fail 
>>> if an individual build fails, so you need to check the logs to make 
>>> sure everything actually succeeded.
>> The trouble with make universe is that it has been broken for months 
>> and months now. ARM and powerpc64 are disconnected from the build 
>> entirely, as are big-endian and 64-bit MIPS, and an increasing number 
>> of ARM and PowerPC kernels depend on FDT tools not built by default, 
>> and so do not build. Build infrastructure changes also make it appear 
>> that the PowerPC GENERIC64 kernel is broken when it is not. This 
>> severely reduces the coverage of make universe for problems like this.
>> I have a patch at 
>> that fixes both of these problems, by teaching the universe rule in 
>> src/Makefile about MACHINEs with multiple MACHINE_ARCHs and by 
>> enabling the build of the FDT tools by default, which adds about 300K 
>> to world. The way these are done is probably not optimal, but it is a 
>> better than the current situation and is a good stopgap. With the 
>> patch, all architectures succeed except for the ARM AVILA kernel, 
>> which seems genuinely broken, and the various 64-bit MIPS kernels, 
>> since 64-bit MIPS is not hooked up to the build yet. If I don't hear 
>> any objections, I would like to commit it on Wednesday the 22nd.
> That works for me.  As far as I can tell, doing the MIPS64 stuff will 
> just take about a day of patiently fixing some breakage...  Maybe I'll 
> get to it over the holidays.

Thanks! With your imprimatur, I've committed the src/Makefile portion of 
the patch early. The FDT piece will wait until Wednesday, as announced.

More information about the svn-src-all mailing list