[ GSoC ' 20] Kernel Dump Regression Testing

Ritika Gupta ritikagupta1998 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 13:01:32 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

*Project Description-*
*https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2020Projects/KernelDumpRegressionTesting
<https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2020Projects/KernelDumpRegressionTesting>*

The project aims to create a framework for recovering and testing those
kernel dumps for a different set of configuration variables or code paths
while logging every test case separately in a log file and later analyzing
which code paths failed. The test script generates a combination of all the
possible combinations of the configuration variables and prints the results
in the Test Anything Protocol Format. Configuration variables which are
integrated with the test file:

   - Compression (gzip/zstd)
   - Encryption
   - Emulated storage device (virtio-blk/ahci-hd/nvme)
   - Block size (512/4096)
   - Architecture (arm64/amd64/i386)

Github repository with the code and instructions:
https://github.com/ritika98/test_suite
Output Logs generated from the script:
https://gist.github.com/ritika98/50631b11469f1bed3dbaf2aa3b6ad783

My entire GSoC journey has been a pretty enjoyable ride, full of
excitement, unexpected turns, and yes, expected blind turns. These three
months added invaluable experience to my career. We faced several issues,
bugs, and resolving them equally involved in-depth research. Tackling such
problems boosts self-confidence and enthusiasm.

Using this opportunity to express my deepest gratitude and thanks to the
FreeBSD community for their constant support. My special thanks to the
mentor @Mark Johnston <markj at freebsd.org> who in spite of busy schedules,
consistently guided me to be on the correct path, also allowing me to
accomplish this project successfully. The useful advice and guidance made
this project look easier to finish. I will make use of the gained skills
and knowledge in the best possible way to attain career objectives.
Thanks and Regards,
Ritika Gupta