[GSOC-18] Convert all PCI drivers to be table driven and mark them with PNP_INFO - Week 2

Lakhan Shiva lakhanshiva at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:44:29 UTC 2018

Hi All,

Please find my Project homepage here. [1]
This week I have worked on more drivers. I got time to convert ath,
aacraid, ahci, an, bwn, bwi, ale. I have touched a couple of harder
drivers. [2]
I have added the Plug and Play information for them and found them to be
used by devmatch to match them with modules automatically.
There were some kernel build issues, especially for drivers which had more
than one table. I have solved the issues by adding multiple PNP info tags
with unique names.

There is one problem though. Currently in MODULE_PNP_INFO description
string, we only support upto 32 bit variables. We need to be able to
support upto 64 bit variables. (uint64_t type). I will discuss with my
mentor regarding this.

In a couple of drivers I have added tables and modified the probe function.
At the same time, I am also learning the internals of the kernel, this will
help our goal ultimately - Automatic module loading. [3]

Thank you,
Lakhan

[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2018Projects/ConvertPCIdriverAttachmentsToTables

[2] https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd/pull/3/files