Porting Microsoft's CoreCLR, CoreFX, and PowerShell to FreeBSD and PowerShell to FreeBSD - Week 1

Mateus Rodrigues de Morais mateus at mateus.tech
Tue May 22 02:21:45 UTC 2018

Hello all,

The goal of my project is to create a port of the .NET Core SDK and Runtime for FreeBSD in order to build and create a PowerShell port as well.

During this first week of work, I’ve gotten in touch with the .NET community and the Microsoft team in order to gather information on how to put together a working runtime and SDK on FreeBSD as well as to check the progress of past efforts of doing so. I created a GitHub issue over at the CoreCLR repository to track my work and ask questions regarding the project [1].

Since then, I’ve managed to gather a good amount of information which I’m going to work on this next week regarding putting together a bootstrap .NET Core CLI that I can use to either build .NET Core itself or even PowerShell. If this proves successful, It’ll be a huge first step toward project completion. Right now, I have the CoreCLR component building successfully on FreeBSD.

[1]: https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/issues/18067

Best,

Mateus.