[GSOC-18] Convert PCI drivers to be table driven - Week 5

Lakhan Shiva Kamireddy lakhan at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 18 17:07:16 UTC 2018

 Hi All,

As you are aware, my project is to convert PCI drivers to be table driven.
This week I have worked on other PCI drivers. I converted gem, glxsb,
grackle_hb, hme, arcmsr, bt, cbb, de, ebus, emujoy, fixup_pci PCI drivers.
I worked with hard drivers as well. [1] [2]

I have added the Plug and Play information for them and found them to be
used by devmatch to match them with modules automatically.
I resolved all build issues.

We are thinking of migrating the reviews to Phabricator and see how it's
working out. I will need to figure out a bit and work my way around
phabricator-cli. Last week i've also marked some of my previous drivers
with the commit metadata.

We need to convert the drivers in a certain way so that kldxref can find it
and record it in linker hints. I am working on PCI drivers so as to make it
easy for kldxref to find them.

In a couple of drivers I have added tables and modified the probe function.
At the same time, I am also learning the internals of the kernel, this will
help our goal ultimately - Automatic module loading. [3]

Please find my updated project homepage here. [4]

Thank you,
Lakhan
[1] https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd/pull/4
[2] https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd/pull/6