[GSOC-18] Convert PCI drivers to be table driven - Week 9

Lakhan Shiva Kamireddy lakhan at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 16 13:50:36 UTC 2018

Hi All,

As you are aware, my project is to convert PCI drivers to be table driven.
Last week, I've worked on some of the PCI drivers which need some
modification. As we decided to create a new macro - PCI_MATCH, i was
working on consolidating my work using this macro.

I have started the conversion process after rebasing to the latest FreeBSD
build. Initially, I worked on the following drivers - imcmsb, fixup, de,
dpt, bktr, esp, grackle. [1] [2].

Furthermore, I've been working on the following drivers as well: glxsb,
emu, emujoy, hifn, bt, arcmsr, cp, ce, cy [3] [4].

We need to convert the drivers in a certain way so that kldxref can find it
and record it in linker hints. I am working on PCI drivers so as to make it
easy for kldxref to find them.

I am also learning the internals of the kernel, this will help our goal
ultimately - Automatic module loading. [5]

Please find my updated project homepage here. [6]

Thank you,
Lakhan
[1] https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd/pull/8
[2] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16233