High-performance TCP/IP networking for bhyve VMs using netmap passthrough

Vincenzo Maffione v.maffione at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:57:49 UTC 2016

Hello

Project summary
=================
ptnet is a new multi-queue paravirtualized device that builds on ptnetmap
to allow VMs to exchange TCP traffic at 20 Gbps, while still offering the
same ptnetmap performance (10-100 Mpps) to native netmap applications.
The purpose of this SOC project is to write a ptnet driver for FreeBSD and
a corresponding device model for the bhyve hypervisor.

Status update for week 5
===================
In this week I kept going on with the driver implementations, adding
taskqueues to manage deferred RX/TX work, fixing several synchronization
problems and expanding the support for ioctl(). Some more bug-fixing work
is needed to get the driver working, and I plan to do that in week 6,
together with performance tests.

Links:
   Project wiki page:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2016/PtnetDriverAndDeviceModel