High Performance P4 Software Switch - Week 5

Yuri Iozzelli y.iozzelli at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 10:03:11 UTC 2016

Hi

Project summary
========================

In this project I would like to implement a modified version of the
reference p4 (http://p4.org) switch on FreeBSD, which uses netmap for
faster packet I/O: the goal would be reaching the 1 Mpps order-of-magnitude
speed (current reference implementation is limited to 150 Kpps for a simple
l2 switch with 2 hosts).

Week 5
=========================

I improved the lock-free queue to support batching and modified the
existing code to take advantage of it. I am also starting to implement a
priority queue based on it.
The simple target I am working on is complete and it reaches a throughput
of 2 Mpps for the simplest p4 program, and a throughput of 650 Kpps for a
more realistic one.
Now I will focus to bring in more features, like packet replication and
learning.

Links:
  Wiki page:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2016/HighPerformanceP4SoftwareSwitch#preview