Report #2: Unicode support

Dmitry Selyutin ghostman.sd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 01:47:45 UTC 2014

Hello everyone!

I'm glad to tell that we made a progress in the implementation of the
Unicode Normalization Algorithm, which is required before string
collation. I've recently implemented its composition form, so we can
move to NFD and NFKD parts, which are certainly more difficult.
It was really difficult to understand how to preprocess Unicode Database
files to receive a some working form of data to work with; I've tried to
ask for help in ICU mailing lists, but have received no answer yet, so I
had to work on my own. However, I'm already sure that I can implement
NFD and NFKD without help from them, though I'd appreciate any help from
people who know Unicode world better. However, I'm almost sure that I'll
finish NFD and NFKD till Monday.
I could have done it even on Saturday, but unfortunately I also have to
solve some bureaucratic issues in my University. I need to provide
several medical documents, that means that I needed to spent the entire
two days to visit all doctors and make them sure that I'm healthy to
graduate. :-) Sounds strange, but unfortunately that really requires a
lot of time in Russia. I'll need to finish these issues on Monday, but I
hope that I'll be free since that time.

So the plan is to implement the NFD and NFKD till Monday, then test it
using a file from Unicode Database, then move to collation part. Still
looking for people who knows the Unicode Standard (except of ICU people;
as I said, I've written them a letter already, so I hope to receive an
answer yet).

As usually, I'd like to thank my mentors, especially Pedro, who had a
patience during this week while seeing my style issues. Pedro, I didn't
forget about style issues; I'll get to correct it all when I'll
implement the NFD and NFKD, since during active work it's sometimes
difficult to keep code clean. :-)

Thanks to everyone who read this letter!

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Selyutin