cpu limits status report

rudo tomori rudotx at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 19:54:16 UTC 2012

Hi,
the goal of my gsoc project is to enable the system administrators to
configure %CPU limits using the rctl command. So that they can for
example limit a particular user to 50% cpu time.

Last week I was working on per-user %cpu limits. I did not have to
create much code of my own, it was more of a matter of inspecting the
existing code and using it where appropriate.

Now it seems to me that my current per-user %cpu implementation is
working so I will write a test to evaluate it. I will create a shell
script that periodically takes a snapshot of running processes for a
specified user and counts the sum of %cpu values from the output of
the ps command. I will then run make buildworld under some user that
has per-user %cpu limits set and inspect the test results, probably
also talk about them with my mentor.

rudo