cpu limits status report

rudo tomori rudotx at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:54:49 UTC 2012

Hi,
the goal of my gsoc project is to enable the system administrators to
configure %CPU limits using the rctl command. So that they can for
example limit a particular user to 50% cpu time.

Last week I was mainly working on testing. One guy provided me access
to some machines with different architectures and I successfully
tested my work on amd64/9-release, amd64/current, sparc64/9-release
and powerpc/9-release. I also committed some code - I reverted back to
the original version of the function rctl_enforce() and I added a new
function rctl_over_limit() that I use for checking if the pcpu limits
are adhered to.

This week I want to see how per-jail %cpu limits work. I assume that
the rctl infrastructure already enables me to specify and enforce
per-jail pcpu limits. So I want to see how this works in practice. I
also have some small issues in my head that I want to address this
week. This includes fixing some includes in my code and preventing
system processes from being interrupted by rctl sleep.

rudo