Improve BSD-licensed text processing tools

Jesse Hagewood jesse.hagewood at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 02:15:49 UTC 2012

Progress for last week:

- All diff-specific options in sdiff pass to the diff process fine now. The
only problem was the '-W' options. In diff, sdiff's '-W' option is '-w' and
sdiff's '-w' is '-W'. This problem has been corrected.
- There were some goto statements in a switch block in sdiff that made the
structure of the code sort of awkward. I refactored the code a little bit
to get rid of the gotos.
- Fixed many style issues in both diff and sdiff. They seem to be following
all of the style guidelines now.

For sdiff, there doesn't seem to be much left to do. Gabor suggested having
tighter integration between the diff utilities, and I have been studying
how BSD grep does this to get an idea of how it would work. This will be my
main focus for most of this week, before continuing work on diff3.