BFS scheduler weekly status report

rudo tomori rudotx at gmail.com
Sun May 29 22:45:15 UTC 2011

Hi,
the goal of my project is to implement a BFS - like scheduler into the
FreeBSD. I started off with the original 4.4BSD code, and by iterative
modifications I will develop a scheduler that matches the BFS design
as specified in http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/sched-BFS.txt.

Last week I have modified the 4.4BSD scheduler to use a single global
run-queue. (So not a per-CPU run queue). I have also removed a thread
that periodically recalculates the threads' priorities. You can find
more info at my project blog site rudot.blog.com

Next week I will present the first benchmarks at my project blog.
These benchmarks will serve me later for comparisons to see if I am
actually improving or decreasing performance after adding some
features. I plan to use sysbench and make world for my benchmarking.

After that I will probably continue by changing the mapping of thread
priorities to a specific priority queue in the global run queue. The
BFS uses only 1 queue for all time-sharing processes.

rudo