regex status report #1

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at kovesdan.org
Sat May 28 07:07:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've made some tests with TRE and so far found two incompatibilities
with base regex:
1, The curly bracketed repetition expressions can have the lowe bound
missing, where 0 is inferred. This behaviour is more permissive so
probably won't be a problem.
2, Missing REG_STARTEND flag that could be used with regexec(). This has
been implemented.

I've got it built inside libc and it works well. It has a literal
matching mode, which is very efficient. However, in some conditions it
underperforms our base regex. Now I'm looking at this. I would like to
improve the performance a bit before I publish a patch for testing.

Gabor