regex status report #2

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at kovesdan.org
Sat Jun 4 19:18:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've been testing more the code and I found a bug that in my code
concerning REG_STARTEND that I added last week. I fixed it. I looked at
NetBSD's code to see if they have any local improvements. I've merged
REG_PEND support but they don't have anything else.
In general, I see that TRE is a mature regex implementation with good
POSIX-conformance but its performance is not always satisfying. So I've
used gprof to check where the processing time is spent and I'll continue
investigationg on how to improve the performance. Basically, there are
two ways;
- improving the TRE matching code itself
- using heuristics and shortcuts; e.g. use fixed string matching to
detect possibly matching context or detecting if the pattern is simple
and can use a faster algorithm instead of heavy-weight pattern matching.

Gabor