Weekly status report (27th May)

Takuya ASADA syuu at dokukino.com
Wed Jun 1 09:02:07 UTC 2011

On 2011/05/31, at 22:52, George Neville-Neil <gnn at freebsd.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> LIST_FOREACH(d, &bp->bif_dlist, bd_next) {
>> if (d->bd_qmask.qm_enabled) {
>>   if (m->m_pkthdr.rxqid != (uint32_t)-1 &&
>> !d->bd_qmask.qm_rxq_mask[m->m_pkthdr.rxqid])
>>     continue;
>>   if (m->m_pkthdr.txqid != (uint32_t)-1 &&
>> !d->bd_qmask.qm_txq_mask[m->m_pkthdr.txqid])
>>     continue;
>> }
>> d->bd_qmask.qm_enabled should FALSE by default to keep compatibility
>> with existing applications.
>>
>> And here are ioctls for set/get queue mask:
>> #define BIOCENAQMASK    _IO('B', 137)
>>   This does d->bd_qmask.qm_enabled = TRUE
>> #define BIOCDISQMASK    _IO('B', 138)
>>   This does d->bd_qmask.qm_enabled = FALSE
>> #define BIOCRXQLEN      _IOR('B', 133, int)
>>   Returns ifp->if_rxq_num
>> #define BIOCTXQLEN      _IOR('B', 134, int)
>>   Returns ifp->if_txq_num
>> #define BIOCSTRXQMASK   _IOWR('B', 139, uint32_t)
>>   This does d->bd_qmask.qm_rxq_mask[*addr] = TRUE
>> #define BIOCGTRXQMASK   _IOR('B', 140, uint32_t)
>>   Returns d->bd_qmask.qm_rxq_mask[*addr]
>> /* XXX: We should have rxq_mask[*addr] = FALSE ioctl too */
>> #define BIOCSTTXQMASK   _IOWR('B', 141, uint32_t)
>>   This does d->bd_qmask.qm_txq_mask[*addr] = TRUE
>> /* XXX: We should have txq_mask[*addr] = FALSE ioctl too */
>> #define BIOCGTTXQMASK   _IOR('B', 142, uint32_t)
>>   Returns d->bd_qmask.qm_rxq_mask[*addr]
>>
>> However, the packet which comes bpf_tap doesn't have mbuf, we won't
>> able to classify queue id for it.
>> So I added d->bd_qmask.qm_other_mask and BIOSTOTHERMASK/BIOGTOTHERMASK for them.
>> If d->bd_qmask.qm_enabled && !d->bd_qmask.qm_other_mask, all packets
>> through bpf_tap will be ignored.
>>
>> If we only care about CPU affinity of packet / thread(= bpf
>> descriptor), checking PCPU_GET(cpuid) is enough.
>> But if we want to take care queue affinity, we probably need
>> structures as referred to above.
>>
>> * Argument
>> I discussed about this project with some Japanese BSD hackers, they
>> argue this plan, suggested me two things:
>>
>> - Isn't it possible to filter by queue id in BPF filter language by extend it?
>>

> That's an interesting question, but it might be outside the scope of the project,
> because you'd have to change both libpcap and tcpdump and we don't want to fork those.
>
>> - Do we really need to expose queue information and threads to user
>> applications?
>
> There are applications that will want this information.
>
>> Probably most of BPF application requires to merge packet streams from
>> threads at last.
>> For example, sniffer app such as tcpdump and wireshark need to output
>> packet dump on a screen, before output it on the screen we need to
>> merge packet streams for each queues into one stream.
>> If so, isn't it better to merge stream in kernel, not userland?
>>

>> I'm not really sure about use case of BPF, maybe there's use case can
>> get benefit from multithreaded BPF?
>
> Certainly there is a case for it, but perhaps not yet.  Let's get through the

Okay.

> I see the test case isn't written yet, so
> how are you testing these changes?

I modified libpcap/tcpdump just for the test - it can take extra
argument for filtering queues.
I'll send more detail of it when I get to home.
#That's too heavy work to do on my iPhone

>  When I get some time, probably next week,
> I'll want to run some of this code myself.
>
> Also, though it's probably required, the changes to the mbuf mean that you cannot
> MFC (merge from current) this code to any older FreeBSD release.  If and when the work
> is done it would only be able to go forwards.

Is that means it could be merge to next release, but it cannot
backport to older release, am I correct?

# Is it usual thing to backport new features for older releases
anyway? Probably I don't get understand FreeBSD's developing cycle yet

> Oh, and the work looks good to me so far. Good work.

Thanks.