TCP UTO - Weekly Report 7

Catalin Nicutar catalin.nicutar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 09:11:26 UTC 2011

Hello!

This is the seventh report for TCP UTO.

* Short TCP UTO description
UTO stands for User Timeout Option (it is described in RFC5482). TCP UTO
specifies a peer should be allowed to advertise its chosen `User Timeout'
for a connection.
The wiki page for this project: http://wiki.freebsd.org/CatalinNicutar/TCPUTO

* Work completed last week
  * I have added three tests in tools/regression/netinet/tcputo. Testing
  is done on loopback interfaces and only "base" components are used
  * I have tested the Linux implementation
  (http://git.jauu.net/?p=net-2.6-topics.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/tcp-uto)
  and it works with what I am implementing. In particular, it implements
  the same retransmit policy
  * As the API is becoming stable I have edited tcp.4 to include
  setsockopt options and sysctls used

* My goals for this week
  * I will start modifying userland applications in "base" like telnet,
  ssh and nc
  * UTO introduces security problems. I will consider ways to address
  these issues (beyond mentioning in the man page that it should
  only be used for authenticated connections)
  * I will try to branch HEAD and start forward porting changes to it

If you have questions, suggestions or advices drop me an email to
cnicutar at FreeBSD.org.

Catalin Nicutar