TCP UTO - Weekly Report 10

Catalin Nicutar catalin.nicutar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 07:06:41 UTC 2011

Hello!

This is the tenth report for TCP UTO.

* Short TCP UTO description
UTO stands for User Timeout Option (it is described in RFC5482). TCP UTO
specifies a peer should be allowed to advertise its chosen `User Timeout'
for a connection.
The wiki page for this project: http://wiki.freebsd.org/CatalinNicutar/TCPUTO

* Work completed last week
 * I have forward-ported to HEAD both kernel changes and telnet, openssh
 and netcat
 * I have added UTO support to varnishd 3.0.0. The option is sent when the
 sess_timeout parameter is used
 * I have made a small change to the way the received timeout is handled
 by passive sockets
 * I have developed a scenario in which a careless server ties the
 resources of a machine to the point that no other process can use sockets
 any more, and pinpointed the exact cause

* My goals for this week
 * I will try to periodically drop misbehaving connections such that the
 scenario above is impossible
 * I will change the handling of the TCP_RCVUTO_TIMEOUT socket option to
 allow a process to specify a per-connection limit

If you have questions, suggestions or advices drop me an email to
cnicutar at FreeBSD.org.

Catalin Nicutar