[status report] RPS/RFS #week10

Kazuya Goda gockzy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 10:08:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

The project goal is to implement RPS/RFS on FreeBSD. RPS solves the
problem of mono-queue NIC which can't distribute packets across
multiple processors. RFS is the extension of RPS, which deliver
packets to the CPU where application running.

This week status:
* Research "lock" problem
The case of set below :
-net.isr.direct=0
-net.isr.direct_force=0
it cause to netisr(protocol stack) thread and dispatcher thread are
running on same CPU.
For the time begin net.isr.direct_force is set 1.

* Benchmark test
I used netperf. The netperf test has 50 instances of netperf TCP_RR
test with 1 byte request and response.
Below is result. The result SOFT_RSS is almost the same as RPS.
SOFT_RSS work on more  flows.
I'd like to benchmark with many flows but case of many flows drop
performance due to lock in protocol stack.

NO RPS/SOFT_RSS - 87k tps
RPS                         - 100k tps
SOFT_RSS               - 99k tps

next week :