[Status update] sysctlreg project

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 14 13:48:37 UTC 2010

On Monday 14 June 2010 7:11:13 am Ilya Bakulin wrote:
> Hi,
> Here is a status report for "sysctlreg" project (make optional kernel
subsystems register themselves via sysctl).
> Last week I continued to add more FEATUREs to the existing code base. I now
have >40 features in kern.features listing on the test kernel, opposed to 6 in
such listing for GENERIC kernel.
> Also at the beginning of the last week I've posted an email to freebsd-
hackers@ with some questions about required functionality. The main question
was if the "spoof-on" functionality is really needed. The result of this poll
showed that "spoof-on" functionality need not to be implemented.

> This week (14.06 -- 21.06) I will continue to add more and more FEATUREs. My
plan is to finish adding Netgraph-related features by the end of this week.
Also I plan to do some research work to understand how to handle sysctl change
attempts in the kernel. This will be required to implement systcl change
handler.

Hmm, what are you planning to do in regards to a sysctl change handler?  I
believe the kern.feature.* sysctls should be read-only by design.

--
John Baldwin