BSM converters Status Report 2

Satish Srinivasan codermaniac at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:40:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been working on the xml2bsm tool to convert the XML output of
praudit -x to BSM.

There were lots of style(9) problems in my code, which my mentor
pointed out. I've corrected them. My mentor also suggested a simpler
way to parse the XML output to call the libbsm functions in au_to_*
which made my code a lot simpler and straight forward.

I had to spend a couple of days tracking down a undocumented bug /
feature in the parser or XML output which returns the name of the
current node as "text" for any newline, space or char read outside the
tags, which my code (mis)understood as the "text" token :(.

On the whole I think I've understood libbsm a lot better after this
week. There is still work to be done on the tool for some tokens. The
tool is at //depot/projects/soc2009/trailconv/xml2bsm.

Thank You.

satish